What is a Search Marketing Strategist?
Occupation Description Employ search marketing tactics to increase visibility and engagement with content, products, or services in Internet-enabled devices or interfaces. Examine search query behaviors on general or specialty search engines or other Internet-based content. Analyze research, data, or technology to understand user intent and measure outcomes for ongoing optimization.
Life As a Search Marketing Strategist
- Coordinate sales or other promotional strategies with merchandising, operations, or inventory control staff to ensure product catalogs are current, accurate, and organized for best findability against user intent.
- Assist in setting up or optimizing analytics tools for tracking visitors’ behaviors.
- Develop transactional Web applications, using Web programming software and knowledge of programming languages, such as hypertext markup language (HTML) and extensible markup language (XML).
- Collaborate with other marketing staff to integrate and complement marketing strategies across multiple sales channels.
- Optimize Web site exposure by analyzing search engine patterns to direct online placement of keywords or other content.
- Conduct online marketing initiatives, such as paid ad placement, affiliate programs, sponsorship programs, email promotions, or viral marketing campaigns on social media Web sites.
Skills Needed to be a Search Marketing Strategist
These are the skills Search Marketing Strategists say are the most useful in their careers:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Types of Search Marketing Strategist Jobs
- Search Strategist
- Internet E-commerce Specialist
- Director of Audience Generation, Search, & Analytics
- Digital Strategist
- Director, Search Marketing Strategies
Search Marketing Strategist Employment Estimates
There were about 287,200 jobs for Search Marketing Strategist in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 26,600 new jobs for Search Marketing Strategist by 2026. There will be an estimated 22,400 positions for Search Marketing Strategist per year.
The states with the most job growth for Search Marketing Strategist are Washington, Utah, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maryland, or Mississippi. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
How Much Does a Search Marketing Strategist Make?
The typical yearly salary for Search Marketing Strategists is somewhere between $47,350 and $144,820.
Search Marketing Strategists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or New Hampshire, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Search Marketing Strategists in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$117,540|
What Tools do Search Marketing Strategists Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Search Marketing Strategists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft SQL Server
- PHP: Hypertext preprocessor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
How do I Become a Search Marketing Strategist?
What education or degrees do I need to become a Search Marketing Strategist?
What work experience do I need to become a Search Marketing Strategist?
Where Search Marketing Strategists Work
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|