Find Tech Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Information Technology at Western Kentucky University

Find Schools Near

Information Technology at Western Kentucky University

What traits are you looking for in a IT school? To help you decide if Western Kentucky University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's IT program.

WKU is located in Bowling Green, Kentucky and approximately 18,171 students attend the school each year. In the 2018-2019 academic year, 47 students received a bachelor's degree in IT from WKU.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Information Technology section at the bottom of this page.

WKU Information Technology Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in IT

Online Classes Are Available at WKU

If you are a working student or have a busy schedule, you may want to consider taking online classes. While these classes used to be mostly populated by returning adults, more and more traditional students are turning to this option.

For those who are interested in distance learning, WKU does offer online courses in IT for the following degree levels:

  • Bachelor’s Degree

WKU Information Technology Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks IT programs across the country. The following shows how WKU performed in these rankings.

Note: Rankings don't always give a complete picture of a school's strengths and weaknesses, so it's a good idea to extend your research and also look at other factors when trying to decide if the school is right for you.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The IT major at WKU is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Information Technology. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Online Information Technology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 30
Most Popular Online Information Technology Schools 52
Most Popular Information Technology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 61
Best Information Technology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 81
Best Information Technology Schools 102
Best Value Information Technology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 127
Most Popular Information Technology Schools 129
Most Focused Information Technology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 153
Best Value Information Technology Schools 174
Most Focused Information Technology Schools 354

IT Student Demographics at WKU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the IT majors at Western Kentucky University.

WKU Information Technology Bachelor’s Program

19% Women
23% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
The IT program at WKU awarded 47 bachelor's degrees in 2018-2019. About 81% of these degrees went to men with the other 19% going to women.

WKU Gender Breakdown of Information Technology Bachelor's Degree Grads

About 74% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in IT at WKU are white. This is above average for this degree on the nationwide level.

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from Western Kentucky University with a bachelor's in IT.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Information Technology Majors at Western Kentucky University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 35
International Students 0
Other Races/Ethnicities 3

WKU also has a doctoral program available in IT. In 2019, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That IT Grads May Go Into

A degree in IT can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for KY, the home state for Western Kentucky University.

Occupation Jobs in KY Average Salary in KY
Software Applications Developers 5,700 $86,300
Computer Systems Analysts 4,310 $71,500
Computer and Information Systems Managers 2,800 $119,470
Systems Software Developers 2,300 $84,300
Computer Network Architects 1,160 $77,950

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Computer Science Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited computer and technology colleges across the U.S.