Specific Application Programming
Types of Degrees Specific Application Programming Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many app specific computer programming graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Specific Application Programming Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to app specific computer programming were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for App Specific Computer Programming Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in app specific computer programming should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Skills for App Specific Computer Programming Majors
app specific computer programming majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Programming - Writing computer programs for various purposes.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Abilities for App Specific Computer Programming Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a app specific computer programming student include the following:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
What Can You Do With a Specific Application Programming Major?
People with a app specific computer programming degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Software Developers, Applications||30.7%||$103,620|
|Software Developers, Systems Software||11.1%||$110,000|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Specific Application Programming?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of app specific computer programming majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||37|
|Hispanic or Latino||32|
App Specific Computer Programming appeals to people across the globe. About 3.4% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Specific Application Programming Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
App Specific Computer Programming majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $89,580 to $114,000 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Specific Application Programming
Some careers associated with app specific computer programming require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to app specific computer programming have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||0.9%|
|Some College Courses||0.7%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||4.8%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.6%|
Online Specific Application Programming Programs
In 2018-2019, 187 schools offered a app specific computer programming program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||86||21|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||60||12|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Specific Application Programming Worth It?
The median salary for a app specific computer programming grad is $108,080 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 171% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $1,363,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Specific Application Programming
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to app specific computer programming.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|General Computer Programming||7,925|
|Computer Programming Certifications||319|
|Other Computer Programming||217|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By luis gomes under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|