Web & Multimedia Design
Types of Degrees Web & Multimedia Design Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many web and multimedia design graduations there were in 2020-2021 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Web & Multimedia Design Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, multimedia design majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Multimedia Design Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in multimedia design should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills for Multimedia Design Majors
multimedia design majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Abilities for Multimedia Design Majors
As you progress with your multimedia design degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Web & Multimedia Design Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with multimedia design:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Multimedia Artists and Animators||8.4%||$72,520|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Web & Multimedia Design?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of multimedia design majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||67|
|Hispanic or Latino||178|
Students from other countries are interested in Multimedia Design, too. About 22.5% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Web & Multimedia Design Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Multimedia Design majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $54,680 to $78,230 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Web & Multimedia Design
Some careers associated with multimedia design require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to multimedia design have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||1.5%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||5.8%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||8.8%|
|Some College Courses||14.9%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||12.2%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||1.5%|
Online Web & Multimedia Design Programs
In 2020-2021, 526 schools offered a multimedia design program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||199||27|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||18||4|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Web & Multimedia Design Worth It?
The median salary for a multimedia design grad is $75,580 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 89% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $713,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Web & Multimedia Design
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to multimedia design.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Data Modeling/Warehousing & Database Administration||3,756|
|Other Computer Software & Media Applications||1,438|
|Modeling, Virtual Environments & Simulation||854|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Negative Space under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|