Other Computer Programming
Types of Degrees Other Computer Programming Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many other computer programming graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Other Computer Programming Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to other computer programming and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Other Computer Programming Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in other computer programming should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills for Other Computer Programming Majors
A major in other computer programming prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Programming - Writing computer programs for various purposes.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Abilities for Other Computer Programming Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a other computer programming student include the following:
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Other Computer Programming?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of other computer programming majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||5|
|Hispanic or Latino||30|
Other Computer Programming appeals to people across the globe. About 3.8% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Other Computer Programming Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Other Computer Programming majors often go into careers with median salaries of $89,580. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Other Computer Programming
Some careers associated with other computer programming require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for other computer programming careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Some College Courses||2.5%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||9.0%|
Online Other Computer Programming Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 33 schools offered some type of other computer programming program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||12||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||2||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Other Computer Programming Worth It?
The median salary for a other computer programming grad is $89,580 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 125% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $993,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
Majors Related to Other Computer Programming
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to other computer programming.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|General Computer Programming||7,925|
|App Specific Computer Programming||2,227|
|Computer Programming Certifications||319|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By luis gomes under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|